FOOD BANK MANAGER
The Meon Valley Food Bank is a well-established and respected charity providing support to people across a wide area of the Meon Valley. Based at the Wickham Community Centre, the food bank opens each Monday and Tuesday for the receipt of food donations and the distribution of food parcels, with the majority of supporting administration done outside of those sessions.
To date the food bank has been entirely run by volunteers, many of whom are from local churches. The last few years have seen demand for our service increase substantially and the Trustees believe the time has come to appoint a paid Manager.
This is a critical appointment, and we are seeking someone to provide clear leadership as the food bank continues to develop in response to changing economic and social circumstances.
Key responsibilities include:
- the day-to-day management of the food bank utilising the skills and experience of the volunteer team
- placing and managing a regular online supermarket order to ensure there is sufficient stock on the shelves
- responding to email and phone enquiries
- working closely with referral agencies and other support organisations
- building relationships with individuals and other food donors such as schools, churches and local businesses
- developing the food bank’s profile through the website and undertaking presentations to local organisations
- working closely with the Treasurer and other Trustees on the forward planning and development of the food bank
To be successful in this role you will need to: want to support people experiencing food poverty; be comfortable working in a Christian environment; be fully computer literate (Outlook, Word and Excel); be accustomed to leading a small team. Experience of working with volunteers in the charity sector would be an advantage.
Initially we believe the role will require a minimum of 15 hours per week but this will be discussed and agreed with the successful candidate. It will also be subject to regular review.
Please address your application including a CV and the contact details of 2 referees, one of whom should ideally be a professional with whom you have worked, to Annie Thomas, Chair at:
Meon Valley Food Bank, Wickham Community Centre, Mill Lane, Wickham PO17 5AL
You are welcome to arrange a confidential meeting with one or more of the Trustees as you consider whether to apply. Please use the above email address to request such a meeting.
CLOSING DATE: Applications will close on Monday 4th March 2024